Gran Canaria was first discovered in 1100BC but it wasn’t until 1478 when Juan Rejon finally beat the resistance and took over the island for Spain.
The Spanish also successfully fended off the Dutch and the English in the famous battle where Nelson lost his arm in 1797.
Now days Gran Canaria is mixture of empty rolling sand dunes and fantastic lively resorts. Huge golden sands merge into one another along the coastline, giving you a beach wherever you stay.
In season Gran Canaria’s lowest temperature is 71F and its highest in August is 80F. The climate is mainly dry and sunny with slight breeze.
Things to do and see in Gran Canaria
One of the most popular things to do is the San Miguel boat trip, which is anchored just off the southwest coast. This excursion includes breakfast, lunch and entertainment.
Why not try the hilarious camel trip across the dunes of Maspalomas including belly dancing and Fakir the magician.
However you decide to spend your holiday there something for everyone.
- Its main centre is crammed with shops, restaurants and bars.
- Nightlife great for party goers. The bars play loud music till the early hours.
- Harbour & yachting marina, perfect for deep sea fishing & other water sports.
- Beaches a-plenty for those who just want to relax on their holiday.
- Other activities include Tennis, Squash & Mini Golf. Bowling alley & water park.
Playa del Ingles
- 2nd busiest resort after Puerto Rico.
- Plenty of bars & restaurants. Has its own cosmopolitan commercial centre.
- Stiff breeze which is great for wind surfers.
- Just 10 minutes away from the golden dunes of Maspalomas.
- Tranquil quiet resort where most entertainment is hotel based.
- Striking black sand beach with a few beach cafes.
- The Lido; man made plaza with no sand, enormous pool & palm dotted island.
- Average sized resort just 10 minutes outside Puerto Rico.
- Beautiful man made beaches with a selection of bars and restaurants.
- Mogan is also 10min away; pretty scenery, little harbour with water sports.
- Smaller town with a pretty square decked town that is great for families.
- 10 mins away from Playa Del Ingles & 30 mins away from Puerto Rico.
- Huge golden beach surrounds the resort for those wanting to soak up the sun.